The manufacturer of Adequan estimates the United States Federal Drug Administration will inspect the plant in New York that makes the product in late summer but production may not be resumed for several months.
The New York production plant, the only manfacturing facility of Adequan in the world, has been closed for renovations ordered by the FDA and supplies are most likely exhausted, said Allyn Mann, director of Luitpold Animal Health that manufactures the polysulfated glycosaminoglycan for horses and dogs.
Supplies of Adequan were interrupted by the “significant renovations and upgrades to meet enhanced quality standards” ordered by the FDA, the company said.
“These renovations required cessation of manufacturing and affected Luitpold’s ability to release product. This has resulted in shortages in the marketplace.
“Manufacturing cannot resume until the renovations are completed and approved by the FDA.
“Our regulatory group estimates it (renovations) will happen late summer,” Allyn Mann said. “There will be some dialogue with FDA after the inspection which could take several weeks or as long as several months depending on how it goes.
“Once we get clearance, product will ship immediately.”
Adequan IM and IA are the only polysulfated glycosaminoglycan approved by the FDA for the treatment of non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic joint dysfunction and associated lameness in horses. Adequan Canine is the only polysulfated glycosaminoglycan approved by the FDA for the control of signs associated with non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic arthritis of canine synovial joints.
Things to think about ...
- ► 2014 (161)
- Vermont's nonprofit's mission to save rare horse b...
- Mycotoxin Feed Contamination Poses Health Risks fo...
- Horse Hoof Trimmings - A Suitable Dog Treat?
- New Wintec Pro Endurance Saddle Selected as Offici...
- West Nile: First Equine Cases Reported in 2013
- Choosing a Feed for Endurance Horses
- Adequan Availability Update
- Physical Exam of the Horse Hoof
- AHC ACTION ALERT! Senate Amendment Threatens Recre...
- Rattlesnake Bite Vaccine
- Tevis Research Evaluates Horses' Blood Chloride Le...
- "Building Your Trail Right the First Time!"
- Digesting Different Hay Forms
- Report: Inadequate Trail Resources Threaten Public...
- Back Country Horsemen of America Gives Youth a Leg...
- Gov. Report: Public Access Threatened by Inadequat...
- ▼ July (16)
- ► 2012 (141)
- ► 2011 (87)
- ► 2010 (169)
- ► 2009 (136)
- ► 2008 (99)
- ► 2007 (81)