Thehorse.com - Full Article
By Pat Raia
Dec 16, 2014
A fourth horse in Davie, Florida, has died after consuming an equine feed tainted with an antibiotic intended for use in cattle.
In October three horses at Masterpiece Equestrian Center in Davie died after ingesting horse feed manufactured by Lakeland Animal Nutrition, Inc. (a subsidiary of Alltech). Further investigation revealed that the feed was contained monensin , an ionophore antibiotic used in ruminants, swine, and poultry that is toxic to horses.
Lakeland voluntarily recalled three of its Signature Status Pellet products and its LAN 10 Pellet products manufactured between Sept. 8 and Oct. 8. Last month, the firm announced that it would cease manufacturing horse feed altogether.
Subsequently, the owners of horses residing at Masterpiece Equestrian Center have retained attorney Andrew Yaffa to represent them in restitution talks with Lakeland.
On Dec. 15, Yaffa said a fourth horse at the equestrian center had died, and necropsy results confirmed the death was connected to the contaminated feed...
Read more here:
Post a Comment